Conservation areas and listed buildings

Energy Performance Certificates

Government guidance on Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) states that:

  • Existing dwellings require an EPC when they are sold or rented.
  • This includes listed buildings and those in conservation areas unless compliance with minimum energy performance requirements would unacceptably alter their character or appearance.
  • Owners will need to take a view as to whether this applies to their buildings.
  • Only an accredited energy assessor can lodge data on the domestic EPC register and produce an EPC.

The guidance suggests owners may wish to seek advice from the council’s conservation officer. However, due to the volume of enquiries and limited resources, we offer the following general advice in the first instance:
The following works do not usually require listed building consent:

  • additional loft insulation
  • upgrading of heating controls and thermostats
  • installation of mains gas, provided the meter is inside the building
  • replacement of existing boiler/hot water cylinder using existing pipework / existing flue
  • repair or refurbishment of existing windows with accurate copies (design & materials, wood for wood, putty pointed etc.)

The following works require listed building consent and might be acceptable:

  • secondary glazing
  • replacement of windows which are beyond repair with an accurate copy (design & materials, wood for wood, etc.)
  • re-opening existing chimney and installation of woodburner dependent on whether this requires the removal of “boxing-in” or structural works

The following works require listed building consent and less to be supported as they may unacceptably alter the character (including integrity and functionality) or appearance of the building:

  • double glazing
  • new doors and windows
  • wall or floor insulation
  • suspended ceilings
  • new external boiler flues
  • solar heating panels
  • wind turbines

For example, in some circumstances might be given to mount solar panels where they are concealed from public view or insulate suspended wooden floors.

In Conservation Areas, Councils have a duty to avoid harm, the general rule is that there must be no adverse effect on the visual character of the area. Details of Conservation Areas are available here:

If the property is situated within the North Yorkshire Moors National Park area you should contact the NYMPA Building Conservation Team or phone 01439 772700 for advice.

Guidance on energy efficiency improvements to Listed Buildings or in Conservation Areas is available from Historic England and the Society of Ancient Buildings (SPAB) . The Sustainable Building Alliance also provides technical advice and case studies

Rental properties and Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) – Request for Exemption Evidence

The purpose of the Regulations is to ensure that private rented properties meet a minimum level of energy efficiency. This is currently set at an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E.  The Government has acknowledged that in limited cases some properties will not be able to meet these requirements. Landlords can apply for an exemption but must demonstrate that:

  • they have tried to achieve the minimum E rating and

  • provide detailed evidence demonstrating why  compliance was not possible.

Hambleton District Council offer a discretionary service for domestic landlords renting Listed Buildings, except for those within the North Yorkshire Moors National Park. Please contact the NYMPA Building Conservation Team for advice on properties located within the boundary of the national park. 
We can provide: 

  • guidance on whether consent will be required to carry out recommended energy efficiency measures, 
  • guidance as to the information required to  allow the Council to understand the proposal, 
  • guidance on the best way to present the scheme to maximise the possibility of gaining approval.
  • an assessment confirming if the proposed works would or would not unacceptably alter the character / appearance of the property.  This can be used as evidence to support an exemption. 

The starting point is to consider the proposed works – these are detailed within the EPC report for the property or a report from a RICS qualified surveyor. 
We aim to supply this guidance within 15 working days, where possible
There is a charge for this service. Please see our  for charges and details of how to pay.
To request this service please:

Please email any enquiries to or phone 01609 779977

rating button