Hambleton's sporting heroes honoured
Published on Wednesday, 7th November 2018
Hambleton’s 2018 sporting heroes have been honoured.
Nine awards were made in the annual Hambleton Sports Awards – but there were ten winners. Great Ayton cycling brothers Charlie and Harry Tanfield couldn’t be separated so both picked up the sportsperson of the year prize!
The awards also marked achievements in football, running, cricket, basketball and rugby.
“Every year the quality and volume of the nominations is overwhelming and it is harder and harder to pick out the winners,” said Council Mrs Bridget Fortune, Portfolio Holder for Leisure Services.
“2018 was no different. We have so many gifted sports stars, talented coaches and volunteers in Hambleton who give up their time for the various clubs cross the district. These awards allow us to give them the praise they so richly deserve.“
Organised by Hambleton District Council with support from North Yorkshire Sport, awards went to:
- Sportsperson of the Year: Charlie and Harry Tanfield
- Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability: Liam Hodgson
- Inspired for Sport: Junior Parkrun Team
- Junior Sportsperson of the Year: Jack Redshaw
- Coach of the Year: Stephen Collins
- Volunteer of the Year: Tony Clark
- Club of the Year: Thirsk Falcons Football Club
- Team of the Year: Northallerton RUFC First Team
- Lifetime Achievement: Geoff Garbutt