Waste services continue to operate across Hambleton during the present difficult time
Published on Tuesday, 31st March 2020
Hambleton Waste and Street Scene Team are working hard to try to maintain all kerbside collections of Recycling, Garden and General Household Waste.
The operational crews are doing a tremendous job to collect what they can with as little disruption as possible and with reduced staffing levels due to the need for some team members to self-isolate, due to underlying health conditions
Due to the restricted space available in the cabs of the refuse trucks, extra vehicles have been provided so staff can maintain safe distances from each other. The council is experiencing increased tonnages of all materials, so rounds are taking longer. Extra staff have been recruited and some staff from the authority’s Leisure Centres are being trained to help with refuse collection work. Even so, things are very tight and some service restrictions have had to be put in place. These include:
- Missed Bins - We are unable to return for bins once the collection vehicle has been past the property.
- Fly tipping – We will only be able to collect fly tipping if it poses a Health and Safety risk, such as containing asbestos.
- Special collections bookings have had to cease. Please note North Yorkshire County Council Household Waste Centres are closed to the public. Please store such waste at home until the situation changes and normal services resume.
- Street cleaning – street bins are being emptied, but the frequency may fluctuate.
- Road sweepers are limited to critical areas only. At the moment market town centres are being cleaned as best we can.
- The Dog warden can only respond to any found stray dogs and we are unable to respond to reports of dog fouling.
- The Pest Control Service are suspending all but health critical work only.
- Dog waste bins - we are reducing the emptying of dog waste bins and wherever possible can dog walkers please take bagged dog waste home to deposit in their own black household bins
- All bin collections will be affected by the Easter holidays – crews will be working on Good Friday (10 April) as normal but the following week collections will be one day late due to Easter Monday, with Friday collections taking place on Saturday 18 April - Residents are reminded that they must have subscribed to the garden waste subscription service otherwise their green bin will not be emptied and must be displaying the new sticker. However, there may be a delay for new sticker requests to supply issues caused by the current situation.
- Collection dates can be checked here:
The council would like to thank all residents for their patience, understanding and good humour which make all the difference.