Temporary road closures

If you require a temporary road closure for a Military or Remembrance Parade event please complete an application form here:

All other requests are dealt with by North Yorkshire County Council, find out more here:

Types of road closure

You can apply for a full road closure, rolling closure or a footpath closure. A full closure is where the physical closure of the road is necessary for a substantial period of time which requires the signing of a diversion route. A rolling closure involves a moving procession to pass during the time the closure is in force, but is only necessary to interrupt the flow of traffic for a short period of time. A footpath closure is only necessary if your event is obstructing a footpath.

Street party road closures

You can find more information regarding organising street parties for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee here:

Guidance on completing application form:

Please note that we require a minimum of 10 weeks notice prior to the event.

  • You must attach a plan showing the proposed closure coloured red and an alternative route coloured green (if necessary).
  • You must attach confirmation from North Yorkshire Police stating they are responsible for providing the traffic management for the event.

North Yorkshire Police

For events such as Remembrance Events and Military Parades North Yorkshire Police will normally provide officers to control and direct traffic.

For more information on the requirements of North Yorkshire Police please contact their Operations and Contingency Planning Department:

PC 1850 Julia Johnston
Operations Planning Department
Vale House
Thirsk Industrial Estate

Tel: Dial 101 quote collar number 1-8-5-0
Email: Julia.Johnston@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk

Other aspects to consider

If you intend to serve alcohol, play music or collect money at your event, you may need a temporary licence.  If you believe you may need a licence, please contact our Licensing Team for further information, depending on where the event is to be held. You can email them here:

rating button