Council Tax reduction

Council Tax reduction

You can claim Council Tax reduction if you are liable to pay the Council Tax bill for the property where you live.

You could be eligible for help with your Council Tax bill if you are on a low income, have less than £16,000 in savings, capital or investments, unless you receive the guarantee element of pension credit. The help you could receive will depend on;

  • your circumstances (such as your age, the number of people in your household and the ages of your children, whether you or any of your household are disabled).
  • money you and your partner have coming in including earnings, benefits and pensions.
  • you and your partner’s capital, savings and investments.

If you’re entitled to a Council Tax reduction it will be credited to your Council Tax account and will be shown on your bill along with any balance you need to pay.

The more money you have coming into your home, the less support we can give you. If you are of working age we will not discount your whole bill.

Make a new Council Tax reduction claim

Anyone wishing to make a new application for Council Tax reduction can find more information here.

Benefits calculator

To get an idea of which benefits you may be entitled to, use our benefits calculator.

Backdated claims

If you are able to show good cause for the delay in making your claim for Council Tax benefit, we may be able to go back. You can find out about backdated benefits claims and how to apply for them here.

Report a change of circumstances

If you are receiving Council Tax reduction, you are required by law to inform us of any change to your circumstances or address. Find out what this could mean for you here.

Council Tax reduction policy

You can read our Council Tax reduction scheme policy for full details;

Further information

Contact Customer Services on 01609 779977 or email: