Hambleton District Council is seeking applications from those interested in being appointed as Independent Persons in connection with the Council’s Standards Hearings Panel.
The Standards Hearings Panel is responsible for hearing allegations that District or Parish Councillors have breached Member Codes of Conduct.
The Council appoints three Independent Persons. One Independent Person attends the Standards Hearings Panel on a rota basis.
- to give a view to the Council’s Monitoring Officer on whether an allegation should be dismissed at the outset (eg because it is trivial);
- to participate in meetings of the Standards Hearings Panel; and
- to be available to give their “views” if sought from a Member (District or Parish) against whom allegations are made.
Applicants must not on 2 May 2019:
- be a member, co-opted member or officer of Hambleton District Council;
- be a member, co-opted member or officer of a Parish Council within the District of Hambleton;
- be a relative or close friend of a person within paragraph (a) or (b) above; or;
- have, at any time during the previous 5 years been:-
- a member, co-opted member or officer of Hambleton District Council; or
- a member, co-opted member or officer of a Parish Council within the District of Hambleton.
The appointment of the Independent Members will be made by the full Council after receiving a recommendation from a Panel of three Councillors. The Panel may interview shortlisted applicants. The new Independent Members will take up their responsibilities with effect from May 2019 and will be appointed for a period of four years.
How to apply
Letters of application can be sent to Louise Hancock, Democratic Services Officer at the Civic Centre, Stone Cross, Northallerton, North Yorkshire, DL6 2UU or via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Description of Responsibilities and Person Specification
Letters of application should be returned by Friday, 1 March 2019.