COVID 19 update: The latest information and advice relating to licensed drivers, proprietors and operators can be found here.
A licence is required by any person wishing to drive a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle. The council must only grant a hackney carriage or private hire driver's licence to a person who is “fit and proper” and who has been authorised to drive a motor car for at least twelve months.
How much will it cost to apply?
New licence (3 years) - £205 (minimum £50 to be paid at time of application)
New licence (1 year) - £120 (minimum £50 to be paid at time of application)
Renewal of licence (3 years) - £180
Renewal of licence (1 year) - £100
DBS application - £59
Knowledge test - £30
How do I apply?
Along with a completed application form, applicants must:
- Pay the requisite fee (as above);
- Produce a valid DVLA driving licence;
- Prove their right to work in the UK;
- Pass the council's knowledge test (view guidance);
- Have their photograph taken by a member of the Licensing Team;
- Undergo a medical assessment to the DVLA's Group II standards (download a medical form); and
- Undergo an enhanced criminal record check (apply online via North Yorkshire County Council)
- Undergo safeguarding training (an example of suitable training can be found at bluelamptrust.org.uk)
- Undergo a practical driving assessment (examples of suitable assessments can be found at bluelamptrust.org.uk and greenpenny.co.uk)
Report a licensing issue
You can pay for your licence online right now using our secure payment system. Make sure to select the correct service from the left hand side.