A hackney carriage can be used for the carriage of passengers for hire and reward. It can be hailed by passengers on the roadside, it can stand on a rank to await the approach of passengers and it can be pre-booked by telephone. A hackney carriage can only be driven by the holder of a hackney carriage driver licence.
How much will it cost to apply?
New application £370
Renewal application £305
How do I apply?
Transfer of proprietorship (no charge):
Applicants must also produce:
- the vehicle registration document (V5C) in the name of the proprietor/part-proprietor (or proof of ownership – i.e. a bill of sale from a reputable firm)
- a current vehicle insurance certificate or cover note which includes the carriage of passengers for public hire
- a current MOT certificate for all vehicles aged over one year
- a completed vehicle inspection form issued by a Hambleton-based VOSA accredited testing station
- a completed meter calibration certificate (only in the case of new applications)
Report a licensing issue
You can pay for your licence online right now using our secure payment system. Make sure to select the correct service from the left hand side.