You’ll need a zoo licence if you’ll be displaying wild animals to the public for at least 7 days a year, in any place that’s not a circus or pet shop.
To get a licence your zoo must:
- help educate people about biodiversity
- be suitable for the types of animals you’re keeping
- have a high standard of animal care
- do as much as possible to stop any animals escaping
- stop pests and vermin getting into the zoo
You must also do at least 1 of the following:
- conservation research or training
- sharing conservation information
- captive animal breeding
- helping repopulate or reintroduce species into the wild
How much will it cost to apply?
- New applications: £1575.00 plus inspector's and vet's fees.
- Renewals: £2360.00 plus inspector's and vet's fees.
How can I apply?
There are several application forms, please contact us for details.
Report a licensing issue
Please use our form.
You can pay for your licence online right now using our secure payment system. Make sure to select the correct service from the left hand side.
Currently licensed zoos
The following map shows an overview of the currently licensed zoos.
Selecting a symbol will provide you with further information.