Houses in multiple occupation licence

Houses in multiple occupation licence

A house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 ‘household’ (eg a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen. It’s sometimes called a ‘house share’.

You must have a licence if you’re renting out a large HMO. Your property is defined as a large HMO if all of the following apply:

  • it’s rented to 5 or more people who form more than 1 household
  • tenants share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities

How much will it cost to apply?

For new 5 yearly licence:

  • Band A - £630 (Max permitted occupancy 6 persons)
  • Band B - £770 (Max permitted occupancy 7 - 9 persons)
  • Band C - £847 (Max permitted occupancy 9 - 14 persons)
  • Band D - £921 (Max permitted occupancy 15 or more)

Licence renewal fee is 50% of application fee

How do I apply?

New licence

Renew a licence


Home Office guidance 

Amenity Standards explained

Approved HMO Amenity standards


Houses in multiple occupation regulations 2006

Report a licensing issue

Please use our form.

Pay online

You can pay for your licence online right now using our secure payment system. Make sure to select the correct service from the left hand side.