Your landlord, or their agent, has a legal responsibility to manage your tenancy fairly and to keep your home up to a decent standard.
As a private tenant you have rights and responsibilities too.
What if your landlord or agent doesn't meet these standards? Get advice straight away if:
- your deposit is not protected
- you don't have a tenancy agreement, or you don't understand it
- your landlord is not meeting safety standards
- your landlord or their agent is bothering you at home or harassing you.
- your landlord is trying to evict you
- the property is in a poor state of repair - damp, leaking, cold
Rights and responsibilities
Find more information about private renting rights and responsibilities, and dealing with problems with landlords and agents: