No Second Night Out is a national initiative, based on a London pilot which started in 2011. The approach was launched by North East councils on 11 December 2012.
No Second Night Out aims to make sure that no-one new to the street has to spend more than one night sleeping rough, with the vision of ending rough sleeping in the North East.
Housing options are working in partnership to implement a No Second Night Out approach to tackling rough sleeping.
The five key principles of No Second Night Out are:
- identify rough sleepers and help them immediately
- encourage a community response by helping the public to report when they see rough sleepers
- assess rough sleepers needs quickly and safely
- access emergency accommodation and other services to help support the rough sleeper
- reconnecting to support, accommodation, family and friends, in this country or elsewhere
You can view our Homelessness Strategy for a breakdown of the council's key principles, priorities and the actions we are taking to combat homelessness in the district.