Noise problems

Noise in the street

We will investigate complaints of noise nuisance related to:

  • machinery and equipment being used in the street
  • sounding vehicle alarms
  • loud speakers in the street. 

We can't investigate:

  • traffic noise
  • noise in the street from antisocial behaviour
  • aircraft noise. 

Anti-social behaviour noise

To complain about disturbances in the street due to anti-social behaviour contact North Yorkshire Police.

Aircraft noise

To complain about aircraft noise, contact the relevant airport or the Civil Aviation Authority.

Traffic noise

We can't investigate traffic noise as it is exempt from statutory nuisance and there aren't noise limits on roads. Find out more on the website here.

Ice cream van chimes

The music played by ice cream vans should not last more than 12 seconds and the chimes should only be played once on the approach to each stopping place, only once when the van is stationary, and never at intervals of less than 2 minutes.

The chimes should not be played more than once every 2 hours in a particular length of street or when in sight of another van (whether moving or stationary) which might reasonably be taken to be in the street for trading purposes.

Report it

Report a noise problem ยป