Hambleton District Council has recently implemented the Food Hygiene – Low Risk Alternative Enforcement Strategy for low risk food businesses. If your food business has previously been classified as low risk, (Category E) you will be sent a self - assessment questionnaire that must be completed and returned to us within 28 days.
The completion of the questionnaire will remove the need for a physical inspection by an officer.
Please see the information below that explains our strategy for low risk food businesses and also includes the link to complete our low risk food business self-assessment questionnaire.
Alternative Enforcement Strategy – Low risk food businesses
You may be aware that our officers carry out food hygiene inspections of premises that prepare, store, or distribute food in the district. If you operate any of the following you are likely to be low risk:-
Businesses likely to be low risk:-
- Chemists selling sweets, baby foods, slimming products
- Public houses that only sell drinks and confectionary
- Newsagents that only sell low risk foods - sweets and wrapped food items
- Food businesses operating from domestic premises
- Sports and social clubs that only sell drinks and confectionary
- Village/church halls where only occasional catering takes place
- Some retailers and caterers that have been previously inspected and found to have very good food safety standards in place.
What happens next?
If you are a low risk (Category E rated) food business currently registered with us, you will be sent out a letter and/or email with information on how to complete the questionnaire and return it to us. If your business is no longer trading, you must let us know by completing the first section of the questionnaire only, as this will allow us to update our records and remove you from the inspection programme.
If you have received a low risk (Category E) letter/email:-
Please click on the link below to complete the low risk food business questionnaire. Complete all of the information/tick boxes as relevant. Once complete click submit and the questionnaire will be returned to us for processing.
Food Hygiene Rating Scheme (FHRS):-
You will NOT be sent a new FHRS rating or sticker if you are a low risk Category E food business. Only food businesses that receive a physical inspection will be subject to a new rating/sticker.