Local Housing Allowance

Local Housing Allowance

Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is a way of working out Housing Benefit for some private tenants. The scheme is designed to be a fair and simple way of working out Housing Benefit for people on a low income.

Who is affected?

You will be affected by the change if you are:

  • a private tenant who makes a new claim after 7 April 2008
  • an existing claimant who has had a change of address and moved to a private tenancy
  • an existing claimant who has had a break in their Housing Benefit claim after 7 April 2008 of more than one week

Who is not affected?

You will not be affected by the change if you are:

  • a tenant of a Housing Association
  • a tenant whose tenancy commenced before 15th January 1989
  • someone who lives in a hostel
  • someone who lives in a caravan, houseboat or mobile home
  • someone whose claim has a substantial part of the rent go towards board and attendance
  • a tenant of supported housing provided by certain local authorities, social landlords, charities and voluntary organisations

What's different about LHA?

The LHA will be dependent on the household size and make-up rather than the actual rent which a landlord charges for a dwelling. If the actual rent charged is greater than the LHA, the tenant will have to pay the difference to the landlord. Payments will usually be issued directly to tenants.

Further information on LHA

If you would like to know more about the specifics of LHA and the legislation related to it there are a number of guides available:

There are also a number of websites  with useful information regarding LHA:

Contact us

If you want more help or advice, contact the Benefit office:

Telephone: 01609 779977

Email: [email protected]


Hambleton District Council
Civic Centre
Stone Cross
Rotary Way

Area Offices: Town Close, Stokesley and The Police Station, Easingwold