Universal Credit

Personal budgeting support

Universal Credit is paid by a single monthly payment in arrears. This places an emphasis on the claimant to manage their money effectively.

Watch the Money Advice Service's introduction to Universal Credit.

For information on preparing for Universal Credit and budgeting, visit the Money Advice Service website.

Other useful websites about managing your money are:

Difficulties managing your money?

If you are receiving Universal Credit and begin to experience difficulties managing your money, you should contact the Universal Credit helpline on 0845 600 0723 (you will pay the cost of the call plus any network extras).

Hambleton District Council will provide the personal budgeting and support service for Universal Credit customers. We will work with you to understand your individual circumstances and agree a personal plan to help you manage your money effectively.

What other support services do you offer?

We offer a variety of support services. You may not require all the services we provide, but we will work with you to ensure you receive all the help you require. 

Services we offer include:

  • help setting up a monthly budget and budgeting advice
  • advice on finding the right bank account and how to open an account
  • different methods for paying your bills
  • identifying priority and non-priority bills
  • help with money worries
  • advice on making your money go further

If you have extreme debt problems we will work with expert external partners to resolve these. It is important that you comply with the personal budgeting and support arrangements as failure to do so could result in the withdrawal of your alternative payment arrangement.

How do I get personal support?

In some circumstances, personal support will be required to help effective budgeting. This service will be provided to Universal Credit customers by Hambleton District Council. To receive this service, you must be subject to an alternative payment arrangement, such as being paid twice in the month or having housing costs paid direct to your landlord.

The decision on whether an alternative payment arrangement should be applied is made by the Universal Credit decision maker. This will be discussed during the interview following your application.