You can claim Universal Credit online via the government's Universal Credit website.
Important: your session will time out and you will have to start again if you are inactive for more than 20 minutes.
Make sure you have the following information before you start:
- your postcode
- your National Insurance Number
- details of the bank, building society or Post Office account you want Universal Credit paid into
- your rent agreement (if you have one)
- details of your savings or other capital
- details of any income that's not from work (e.g. from an insurance plan)
- details of any other benefits you're getting
You will also need these details for people who live in your home, eg your partner.
It should take around 20 to 40 minutes to complete your claim.
If you have difficulty accessing a computer or need support to complete the online form please contact the Citizens Advice on 01609 776551.
Further details of internet access
Free internet access is available to make your claim for Universal Credit at:
- the Jobcentre
- your local library
- Council Offices at the Civic Centre in Northallerton
- Council Area offices at Stokesley and Easingwold
North Yorkshire libraries provide free internet access for people to complete benefit claim forms. You will need to be a member of the library, which is free to join. They are unable to provide expert support but will help you with setting the computer up and getting you online if you need help. You do not generally need to book, although you may do so if you wish. The standard free access time is up to one hour if you are making a claim for Universal Credit. More information can be found at the North Yorkshire County Council website.
If you need assistance to make a claim online, please contact the Citizens Advice on 01609 776551 to arrange an appointment.
If you do not know how to use a computer or the internet, you can take a beginner's course with UK Online. To find a centre, visit the UK Online website or call then on 0800 771 234.
If you're not confident using the internet, try the free Online Basics course on the Learn My Way website.