Council Tax reduction and discounts

Council Tax reduction and other discounts

On this page you will find information on Council Tax reduction and other discounts. You can find the other discounts here.

Council Tax reduction

You can claim Council Tax reduction if you are liable to pay the Council Tax bill for the property where you live.

You could be eligible for help with your Council Tax bill if you are on a low income, have less than £16,000 in savings, capital or investments, unless you receive the guarantee element of pension credit. The help you could receive will depend on;

  • your circumstances (such as your age, the number of people in your household and the ages of your children, whether you or any of your household are disabled).
  • money you and your partner have coming in including earnings, benefits and pensions.
  • you and your partner’s capital, savings and investments.

If you’re entitled to a Council Tax reduction it will be credited to your Council Tax account and will be shown on your bill along with any balance you need to pay.

The more money you have coming into your home, the less support we can give you. If you are of working age we will not discount your whole bill.

Pensioner age claims

Pensioners can receive a discount on Council Tax of up to 100%, but they are considered under a different scheme which is set by Government. You can find out more here.

Make a new Council Tax reduction claim

Anyone wishing to make a new application for Council Tax Reduction can find more information here.

Other discounts

  • Band reductions: Your property may be in a different band for Council Tax, depending on what work has been done to it since April 1991. Find out about band reductions here.
  • Property exemptions: There are certain properties we do not charge Council Tax for. These are usually properties where no one lives, but you can find out more information here.
  • Reduction for disabilities: If you or someone you live with is disabled, or your property has modifications for wheelchair access, you may be entitled for a reduction. Find out more here.
  • Single Person Discount: If only one adult occupies a property, they may be entitled to a 25% discount. Find out more about Single Person Discount here.
  • Unfinished and second home discounts: Some types of properties, including unfurnished homes, caravans, moorings or second home may be applicable to a discount. You can find out more here.

Benefits calculator

To get an idea of which benefits you may be entitled to, use our Benefits Calculator.

Backdated claims

If you are able to show good cause for the delay in making your claim for Council Tax benefit, we may be able to go back. You can find out about backdated benefits claims and how to apply for them here.


Discounts are reviewed regularly in the year and visits may be made where appropriate to verify that discounts should continue. 

Report a change of circumstances

If you are receiving Council Tax reduction, you are required by law to inform us of any change to your circumstances or address. Find out what this could mean for you here.

Council Tax Reduction policy

You can read our Council Tax reduction scheme policy for full details;

Further information

For further advice and information contact Customer Services on 01609 779977 or email: