Council Tax discounts

Single Occupancy Discount

If you’re the only person over 18 in your home, you may be able to get a 25% discount on your council tax bill.

To qualify for the discount you must have already registered with us to pay council tax in Hambleton

Please only use this form if the change will occur in less than 4 weeks time, or if it has already occurred within the last 3 months. Otherwise, contact the Council Tax Team.

Apply for Single Occupancy Discount ยป

To complete this form you will need:

  • the address and the postcode of the relevant property
  • the date you became the sole occupant
  • your phone number or email address
  • if you wish to set up a direct debit you will also need your bank detail

If you have not yet told us about a change of address you can tell us about a move within the Hambleton area to register with us and apply for the discount at the same time.

Single Occupancy Discount eligibility

Eligibility is dependent on the nature of your occupation at an address.

  • an adult occupant, aged 18 or over, may be eligible if the property is their main residence where they keep the majority of their possessions
  • in the case of couples the marital home would be considered to be the sole or main residence even if one of the partners lives or works elsewhere, and therefore Single Occupancy Discount would not be available
  • you cannot claim Single Occupancy Discount at any second (or further) property owned in addition to a main residence

We undertake checks to make sure our council tax records are up to date and that discounts are being applied correctly by carrying out regular Single Occupancy Discount reviews.

Further information

For information on Single Person Discount please see our Single Occupancy Discount frequently asked questions