Information management

Freedom of Information

The Freedom of Information Act (FOI) 2000 gives a general right of access to information held by organisations such as Hambleton District Council by creating a right to make a request for information.

Anyone, including people living abroad, non-UK citizens, journalists, political parties, lobby groups and commercial organisations, has the right to ask public authorities for any information they hold.

There are a number of exemptions (information which does not have to be released). They relate to information for a variety of functions, covering national security; law enforcement; commercial interests; personal data; international relations and formulation of government policy.

To make a Freedom of Information request please provide as much detail as possible as this will help us deal with your request quickly. 

In some circumstances we may charge you for responding to requests.  In these cases we will write to you and give the option to change your request or pay the appropriate fee.

If your FOI request concerns schools, Trading Standards, highways and transport, children and youth or adult social services please contact North Yorkshire County Council.

HDC Publication Scheme 2009

More information is available on exemptions on the Information Commissioner’s website