Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Useful information

Hambleton District Council will share all information as and when we receive it. We will be using our social media channels Twitter, Facebook, and @HambletonBiz plus our website to keep people up to date. We will also share information through our business networks.

We are following the government’s guidance and working with our partners at other authorities. We are working on contingencies to ensure that we can continue to deliver our services.

Test and Trace Support Payment

Individuals who are required to self-isolate and who meet the benefits-linked eligibility criteria will be entitled to £500. More information:

Coronavirus (COVID-19): What has changed – 22 September

The government has announced further national measures to address rising cases of coronavirus in England.Find out about these new measures here:

Pavement Licences

Hambleton businesses can now apply for a licence that allows you to place removable chairs and tables in the outdoor area next to your business so that food and drinks can be served outside.

Restriction of access to Council offices information

Support for businesses

You can find all our advice and guidance for businesses here:

Support for businesses »

Other Business Grant Funding information

You can find out who is eligible and how to apply for financial support for businesses here:

Apply for Business Grant Funding here »

Shielding support

If you are shielding due to the Government’s advice in response to the Coronavirus and need support please contact North Yorkshire County Council on 01609 780780.

Support as an extremely vulnerable person

You can register if you have a medical condition that makes you extremely vulnerable to coronavirus. For example, you’ll be able to ask for help getting deliveries of essential supplies like food. If you’re not sure whether your medical condition makes you extremely vulnerable, register anyway. You can register yourself, or on behalf of someone else. Register here:

Mental health and wellbeing

The impacts of coronavirus mean that people who are already lonely and isolated are even more vulnerable during the outbreak, while others who need to self isolate may be experiencing loneliness for the first time, however temporary it may be. Get help here:

During this time, you may be bored, frustrated or lonely. You may also feel low, worried, anxious, or be concerned about your health or that of those close to you. Everyone reacts differently to events and changes in the way that we think, feel and behave vary between different people and over time. It’s important that you take care of your mind as well as your body and to get further support if you need it.

Support for victims of domestic abuse

For anyone who feels they are at risk of abuse, it is important to remember that there is help and support available to you. 

Self isolation guidance

If someone in your house has symptoms of COVID-19, then everyone stays in for 14 days. Anyone who is eligible for a flu vaccine is considered high risk, as are pregnant women. 

If one or more persons have symptoms of coronavirus, household waste must be put in plastic bags, tied securely and then put inside another plastic bag and again securely tied. Wait 72 hours before putting this bagged waste in your wheeled bin for collection. Do not put any bagged waste into your recycling bin. Please help to protect your refuse crews who are doing their utmost to keep the service running.

Volunteer to help

There are a number of ways you can volunteer your support to help during the pandemic:

Universal Credit

If you cannot work due to coronavirus and are eligible for Statutory Sick Pay you will get it from day one, rather than from the fourth day of your illness. DWP intends to legislate so this measure applies retrospectively from 13 March 2020.

More information on Universal Credit and sick pay is here:

Additional Support Grants

You can find details of additional support grants here:

Restriction of access to council offices

We are restricting face to face customer access to the Civic Centre and have closed the area offices in Stokesley and Easingwold

All customer queries and payments can be made online:

Our Customer Services Team will continue to provide support and can be contacted on Facebook, Twitter, through our website, emailing [email protected] or calling us on 01609 779977.

More information here:

Freedom of Information requests

During the coronavirus pandemic, Hambleton District Council will continue to receive and respond to access to information requests as best we can.

The handling of Freedom of Information (FOI) and Environmental Information Regulation (EIR) requests are understandably not a priority for the council at this time. This is supported by the ICO which has advised the public to expect delays to any FOI or EIR requests made to a public body, as we divert our resources to help with the crisis affecting the country.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

Payment of supplier invoice

To enable payment of supplier invoices could any invoices that are emailed to Hambleton District Council also include the following email address [email protected].

Leisure centres

Our leisure centres will re-open on 25 July 2020. We have changed the way we normally operate our services to ensure we are ready and safe to welcome you back.

We will be re-opening gradually, and in a measured way. The gyms, group fitness classes and Toning Suite will open on 25 July 2020. The swimming pools will open to swim clubs on the 25 July and for public swimming on Monday 27 July 2020.

Our Frequently Asked Questions provide you will all the information you need before we re-open, including:

  • how we are protecting our customers and teams 
  • What will happen to your membership
  • timetable and booking information 

and everything else that you need to know....

Please visit: Re-opening Frequently Asked Questions 

Stay Active, Stay Healthy, Stay Safe

Bin and recycling 

Please help to protect your refuse, recycling and garden waste crews who are doing their utmost to keep the service running. Can we kindly ask resident to remain a safe distance of greater than 2 metres from our collection crews at all times and to disinfect their bin handles when they put them out for collection. Find out more here:

Pest Control Treatments

If you require the assistance of a Pest Control Officer please provide details of the issue and your daytime telephone number and someone will contact you as soon as possible to make an assessment with you as to if treatment is necessary and can be undertaken safely.


Planning advice surgeries at Easingwold and Stokesley are suspended along with face-to-face meetings with the Planning Duty Officer at the Civic Centre in Northallerton. Most officers are currently working remotely at home, therefore please contact us by email at [email protected]

Case officers have recommenced undertaking planning related site visits and displaying site notices. A risk based approach is in operation and site visits will be undertaken when a site visit can be undertaken and site notice can be fixed safely, having regard to social distancing guidelines in order to ensure the safety of our customers and staff.

A fortnightly newsletter will be sent out electronically to our planning agents with our latest advice and setting out our current position.  If you wish to receive a copy please contact us at [email protected]

Alleged breaches of planning control site visits will be undertaken where it is considered that the allegation may constitute ‘immediate and irreparable harm to the districts best assets within the natural or built environment, or public safety’ in accordance with the priority procedure set out in the Council’s Local Enforcement Plan and where it is safe for our customers and our staff to do so.

These restrictions are having some impact on our ability and timeliness in delivering non-statutory services including pre-application enquiries, CIL queries and other general enquires. We thank you for your patience at this time.

Please use the relevant planning pages and associated links on our website where possible:

The Personal Search computer in reception at the Civic Centre is available for companies to resume access. All companies must make an appointment by calling 01609 779977 or by emailing [email protected] To maintain hygiene standards and current social distancing guidelines it is vital that you do not come to the Civic Centre without an appointment. After each session the computer and surrounding area will be cleaned.

The Land Charges department are no longer be accepting email requests from Personal Search companies given that the personal search computer is available to book at the civic centre.

When submitting a planning application please include your email address on your application form so that we can correspond with you by email.

Please submit your planning application online here:

Please make your planning payments online where possible:

Migrant information

The Migrant Info Hub aims to offer useful information and resources to help migrants, and those supporting them, to stay safe, connected and informed, and to reduce the harmful impacts of coronavirus (Covid-19) in on our region and on people’s lives.

The Migrant Information Hub includes new multi-lingual resources, national guidance, local services and support, and news and updates on specific migrant issues including policy updates. 

Environmental Health Service

Following an update from the Prime Minister on 22nd September 2020, the Environmental Health Service continues to update working practices, in light of the coronavirus epidemic. This is to protect both officers and customers.

The Civic Centre remains open to the public, but from 24th September 2020 most officers will again be working from home however the Technical Support team will be in the office.

Although some routine inspections of business/domestic premises and other activities involving face to face contact are not being undertaken at this time, officers are carrying out visits to investigate complaints and provide advice to businesses. However, where there is a serious risk to health and/or safety a visit may be undertaken following a suitable risk assessment. We will update this information regularly as the restrictions continue to change.

Customers are asked to be tolerant and to give consideration to the complaints/enquiries they are making. Solutions which may have been available before the epidemic started may no longer be an option.

Officers will continue to respond to complaints and requests for service and will endeavour to resolve all matters.

You can contact us by:

  • Email: [email protected] – this inbox is monitored daily.
  • Telephone: 01609 767138
    • We are still experiencing an increased volume of calls – please be patient, if your call reaches our voicemail, please leave your contact details – full name, telephone number, email address if you have one, reason for your call and a reference number if you have one.

We will try to respond to all enquiries as soon as possible, and within 7 working days.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 were introduced at the end of March.

Over the past 6 months the regulations have been amended to take into account the easing of some restrictions.

However, due to a second wave of Covid-19 during September 2020, new and updated regulations have now been implemented. These new regulations provide details of the latest restrictions.

The regulations can be found here:

With each amendment to the regulations, there has been guidance issued on how to operate your business safely during Covid-19. Please find details of the latest guidance below.

The new restrictions from September 2020 in summary:

  • All pubs, cafés, restaurants, takeaway premises and any other relevant business in England must close at 22:00 each day (Takeaways can offer a delivery service only, after 10pm)
  • All pubs, cafés, restaurants and any other relevant business must only offer table service.
  • No bookings of more than 6 people must be taken by any business, unless exemptions apply.
  • Tables must be situated at least 2m apart or 1m if there are screens between tables or tables are situated back to back or in a way that people do not face each other.
  • A QR code must be clearly displayed in all relevant premises, with the view of customers being able to scan the code to provide their contact details for the purposes of Test and Trace.
  • Customers in hospitality venues must wear face coverings, except when seated at a table to eat or drink. Staff in hospitality and retail will now also be required to wear face coverings (from 24 September).

Offences in summary:

  • It is an offence to fail to comply with any of the above restrictions.
  • Fixed Penalty Notices will be issued to anyone failing to comply with the above requirements.

Guidance on how to operate your food business safely will assist food businesses in responding to the coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak and may be updated in line with the changing situation.

The Guidance is available on the Food Standards Agency’s website here:

COVID-19 Risk Assessment

COVID-19 is a new risk that must be incorporated into workplace risk assessments. Employers must therefore carry out a COVID-19 risk assessment if they have not already done so. This will enable employers to mitigate and manage the potential risks posed by COVID-19 for their employees and their businesses. Employers with more than 5 employees must document their assessment. The Health and Safety Executive has published guidance on carrying out a risk assessment here:


Making greater use of outdoor areas has the potential to cause noise nuisance to neighbouring residents. Please take this into consideration when positioning tables and chairs and choosing hours of use. In some circumstances consultation with neighbouring properties may be advisable. The Council has a legal duty to investigate all complaints of noise and nuisance.

Operating your accommodation business

Reopening your hotel/B&B/caravan site business following a period of closure during COVID-19 will require some extra checks. If your business was closed or has reduced occupancy during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, water system stagnation can occur due to lack of use, increasing the risks of Legionnaires’ disease. Find out more here:

Operating your close contact services business

The guidance below will help businesses such as beauty and nail bars, makeup, tattoo and spray tanning studios, spas, sports and massage therapy, well-being and holistic locations, dress fitters, tailors and fashion designers to operate safely during Covid-19.

Guidance on how to work safely during COVID-19 – all other sectors

Officers from the Environmental Health Service (together with North Yorkshire Police and Trading Standards Officers from North Yorkshire County Council) are

responsible for enforcing these Regulations and monitoring is being carried out across the Hambleton district to ensure that businesses are complying.

Businesses not complying with the Regulations

If you are aware of a business operating outside of the closure requirements or have concerns about the working conditions/social distancing within a business that is currently operating please contact this Service.

Employers who continue to operate and have staff in offices or onsite should ensure that employees are able to follow Public Health England advice of maintaining the necessary distance from others and washing their hands with soap and water often for at least 20 seconds (or by using hand sanitiser gel if soap and water is not available).

North Yorkshire County Council Local Information is available at:

And you can also find specific setting information, and copies of the governments national action cards here:

Money Navigator Tool

Money Navigator is designed to help people who have seen their finances impacted by Covid-19. This includes people dealing with complex financial situations who may find it difficult to know where to start, such as those facing redundancy or job loss, the self employed whose work has dried up, and people who have had a temporary income drop who need help to get back on track. For more information follow the link below:

Private Hire and Hackney Carriage FAQs

The Licensing Team understands that these are extremely challenging times for the hackney carriage and private hire trade. The following information is intended to answer some of the frequently asked questions in light of the Coronavirus outbreak.

May Fair

The Northallerton May Fair is cancelled in its usual April/May slot.

NYBCP temporary working practices

As of 18 March 2020 North Yorkshire Building Control Partnership (NYBCP) will be introducing temporary changes to some of their working practices.

Full details can be found here:

Useful links