Health and safety

Advice for businesses

The advice in this section is to assist employers in identifying and complying with their obligations under health and safety law.

You will need to ensure that you have thought about the health and safety risks not only to your employees but also to any contractors or members of the public who visit your business. 

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) provides information to assist businesses in the start-up process, including: 

Do I need to provide toilets for staff and customers?

Toilets need to be provided at businesses where the public have access. This is to:

  • protect the health and welfare of the public
  • protect and enhance the environmental quality of the area
  • enhance the experience of residents and visitors to the area

Regulations require suitable toilet and hand washing facilities for staff to be provided in businesses. In many circumstances the toilets provided for staff can also be used by the public if it is accessible.

We have adopted the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982  for the provision of toilets in places where food and drink is served. The facilities should be provided in accordance with BS 6465- 1 2006 Sanitary Installations. For premises with less than 100 covers we had the sanitary accomodation standards policy adopted by the Council.

Helping Great Britain work well 

Great Britain’s health and safety record is the envy of much of the world. Central to this is protecting people by managing risk in a proportionate and effective way, supporting innovation and increasing productivity. The challenge is to improve even further on this impressive record. 

HSE is seeking to influence the system through the Help Great Britain work well strategy.

Helping Great Britain work well logo

Further assistance

If you require further assistance on health and safety, you can check who you need to get in touch with here.

If you need to get in touch with a Health and Safety Officer at Hambleton you can do that here.

If you need to contact HSE you can do that here.

It may be possible to put some health and safety problems right without contacting us or the HSE, you could speak to;

  • the person in charge of the work
  • your employer
  • your union or employee representative

You may also find it useful to check what your employer should be doing to keep their workplace safe and healthy. You can do this by topic or industry.