Warm homes

Energy efficiency schemes

There are a number of schemes, services and grants available to keep your home warm and save you money. Some are operated by Hambleton District Council and some are operated by partner organisations, what is available changes on a regular basis so we advise contacting us to get the most up to date information available.

Some of the grant schemes provide direct access to free home improvements if a member of your household is in receipt of a health or income-based benefit. To check if you are claiming what you are entitled to:

Help to pay energy bills is available for people on low incomes. Advice is available from:

Self Help

If you are not eligible for any of the schemes but still want to improve your property you can pay for energy improvement measures if you can afford them.

Do your research and shop around so you are aware of the various schemes and options available to you. Check to see what measures may be suitable for your home:

A good starting point would be to check if you have an existing Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for your property. Energy Performance Certificate can be obtained by going on the government website and entering the postal address of a property. This will tell you how your property is performing and what improvements can be made.

We should all be aiming for a property rating of C or above. The cost for an EPC varies depending on the size and location of the property but prices are likely to be in the range of £60 to £120 for an average home. If you don't have an EPC you can find an energy assessor to provide one for you:

Within the Hambleton district we have many properties that are hard to heat because of their age, that are 'off gas', or are conservation areas or have listed building status. These can present some problems when trying to improve energy efficiency but, in most instances, they can be overcome.

Have a look at our webpage on planning and energy efficiency for advice:

Further information

For further information on currently available energy efficiency schemes please contact EHTS@hambleton.gov.uk, quoting Energy Efficiency Query and providing contact details.

An officer will then contact you within 5 working days to discuss your query and provide information on any schemes that may be available and the mechanism to apply.

rating button