Energy Performance Certificates

Energy Performance certificates

An Energy Performances Certificates (EPC) tells you how easy it should be to keep your home warm. Homes with an A rating cost much less to heat than homes with an F or G rating.

The law requires private rented properties to have a minimum energy performance rating of E or above on an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). Properties with an EPC rating of F or G are substandard and may be unlawful to let under the Minimum Energy Efficiency Scheme (MEES) regulations.

Find your EPC rating

It is a legal requirement for an EPC certificate to be given to the tenant when a property is let or to any prospective buyer. You can find out your rating here:

Save money, improve health

Better insulation and more efficient heating systems can save a huge amount on your fuel bills. Improving the EPC rating from a G to an E can reduce energy costs by £1,150 a year.

Warm homes are healthy homes. Condensation and mould growth that is harmful to health can be reduced or eliminated if the home can be kept warm.

What can I do to improve my home?

Have a look at our Warm Homes page. If you rent your home, talk to your landlord. Working together, you may be able to get help to reduce your fuel bills by getting energy efficiency improvements carried out. Depending on your circumstances, there should be no cost to the tenant. You can find out more about Warm Homes here:

Substandard Homes (F or G rated)

Landlords have a legal duty to make improvements so that rented properties have at least an E rating, if not higher (A to D).

Significant energy efficiency improvements may not be possible in some homes. Where this is not possible, landlords must register an exemption on the Public Exemptions Register.

The council looks out for F or G rated homes and checks the Public Exemptions Register. Any landlord who breaches the MEES regulations faces fines up to £5,000 per property.

You can find out if a property has a registered exemption here:

Further advice

You can speak to our Environmental Health Technical Support team about any heating concerns or properties that do not meet the standard by:

rating button