Tenants' advice

Problems with landlords or agents

In the event you experience trouble with your landlord, the council has some legal powers it can use to help. Harassment and illegal eviction, as defined in The Protection from Eviction Act 1977, are criminal offences.

Your landlord, or their agent, has a legal responsibility to manage your tenancy fairly and to keep your home up to a decent standard. As a private tenant you have rights and responsibilities too.

When to get advice

Contact us

Get advice and support from our Housing Options team

Deposit disputes

Your landlord must put your deposit in a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme, which you should get back if you do not damage the property and pay your bills on time. Find out more here:

Rights and responsibilities

Find more information about private renting rights and responsibilities, and dealing with problems with landlords and agents:

rating button