Landlords' advice

Universal Credit

We do not process claims for Universal Credit, but we do process claims for those outside the scope of Universal Credit who are eligible for Housing Benefit. More information on Universal Credit, including qualifying criteria, can be found here:

The Department for Work and Pensions have provided information for landlords, including alternative payment arrangements if your tenant is in arrears, here:

Help with rental costs

Tenants may be able to receive Housing Benefit to help with their rental charge which will be administered by the council. Payment of Housing Benefit is usually made four weeks in arrears and paid direct to the tenant. The tenant is then fully responsible for making arrangements to pay their rent to the landlord.

If your tenant has rent arrears or they are unable or unlikely to pay their rent, you should contact us for advice. Where there are rent arrears, we will need to see evidence of these.

Disclosing information

We can only provide information about a claim to those landlords who are receiving direct payments of Housing Benefit or where a tenant has given us written permission to do so. In these cases, the information we can disclose is limited. We cannot disclose information about the tenant's personal household or financial circumstances.

Where we pay a landlord direct, we will write to them and let them know the dates that benefit starts and ends and the weekly rate of entitlement.

Landlords' duties

Landlords who receive direct payment of benefit have a legal responsibility to tell the council about changes in circumstance that could affect their tenant's entitlement, particularly vacations. It is important that changes are reported straight away to avoid any overpayment of benefit. If a tenant leaves a property, any overpaid benefit may be recoverable from the landlord.

rating button