Housing options

For younger people - the Hub

The Hub offers universal support and advice on housing-related issues to all young people aged 16-25.

It offers:

  • support if you are a young person aged between 16-25 and are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
  • general housing advice and support around issues like benefits and managing a tenancy
  • support and help to stay in your own home where it is safe and appropriate to do so
  • a range of accommodation and support services when staying at home isn't suitable or possible

Staff in the Hub will:

  • Talk you through everything and make sure you have a clear understanding of your options so you can make an informed choice.
  • Answer any questions you have.
  • Take into account your wishes and feelings.
  • Provide you with a support worker who will help you through the entire process.

How does it work?

For those at risk of homelessness, the service offers advice and reconnection to help young people remain in/return to their home or make suitable alternative living arrangements with family or friends.

Where this isn't successful, young people who require more intensive support will be supported to access supported accommodation.

  • Pathway 1: Offers support to try and help young people to return home or to find an alternative suitable living arrangement. Young people may be provided with emergency accommodation with a host household for up to two weeks.
  • Pathway 2: Offers longer-term support where young people have been unable to return home. Support required will be determined following assessment of need and may include general support without accommodation, or more intensive support with accommodation of up to two years.

Who is eligible?

All young people aged 16-25 who are homeless or at risk of homelessness should be referred to The Hub. Any young person who require more general advice on issues such as tenancies, deposits and housing issues.

How can I get help?

Contact us via: 

Other accommodation

SASH Safe and Sound Homes

The council may refer young single homeless people to an organisation called 'SASH' where a short term placement will be organised. Transport, meal and a bed for the night are provided by volunteers within their home. All referrals come through The Hub.

SASH Supported lodgings 

Sash offer young people a room in the house of one of their hosts for up to two years. The young person is a lodger in the host's home, pays rent and a contribution towards bills.

The host acts as a mentor to help the young person acquire the knowledge and skills they need to become independent. Regular meetings and training sessions with the SASH Support Worker ensure the placement is going well and that the young person is moving towards their goal of living independently.

We can currently offer supported lodgings in York, North Yorkshire, the East Riding of Yorkshire and Hull.


Foundation offers support to obtain and maintain accommodation in the Hambleton District. Foundation are the lead provider of accommodation and support for young people in the Hambleton District. Foundation have a variety of accommodation from some that is staffed 24 hours per day, to independent accommodation in the Hambleton district.

Foundation also support people when they are released from prison and work in partnership with North Yorkshire Probation Service to deliver this service, either in managed properties or floating support. All referrals come through The Hub.

rating button