Adapting homes

An adaptation is a change to your home which increases your independence and safety in daily activities. Adaptations will only be carried out if they improve your safety and independence, and meet your long-term needs. They are either classed as minor adaptations or major adaptations, depending on the extent of work that is required.

Major adaptations

A major adaptation could involve structural alterations to your home, for example, widening a door for wheelchair access.

There are grants available for major adaptations carried out. A financial assessment will be required as it is a means tested grant. Contact the duty team to make a referral for assessment by an Occupational Therapist.

Minor adaptations

If you are eligible some adaptations can be provided free of charge by Yorkshire Housing Adaptations Service:

For a free and confidential advisory service contact Yorkshire Housing. They will then support you throughout the whole process of any repairs, improvements or adaptations to your home:

Occupational Therapy

You can get help from North Yorkshire County Council's Occupational Therapy service. They may offer a appointment or see you at home if necessary to identify what you need to make managing a home easier.

If you are eligible for help from the Occupational Therapy service you may be required to pay a contribution towards the cost of the adaptation.

Larger work or extensions

We provide a technical service to support people making use of Disabled Facilities Grants. This includes drawing plans; submitting planning and building regulation applications; obtaining quotes; overseeing work; and ensuring work is completed to the required standard. We can carry out the work or project manage the contractors you choose.

rating button