Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Useful information

We will share all information as and when we receive it. We will be using our social media channels TwitterFacebook, and @HambletonBiz plus our website to keep people up to date. We will also share information through our business networks.

We are following the government’s guidance and working with our partners at other authorities. We are working on contingencies to ensure that we can continue to deliver our services.

Test and Trace Support Payment

Individuals who are required to self-isolate and who meet the benefits-linked eligibility criteria will be entitled to £500. More information:

Apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment here »

Pavement Licences

Hambleton businesses can now apply for a licence that allows you to place removable chairs and tables in the outdoor area next to your business so that food and drinks can be served outside.

Restriction of access to council offices information

Support for businesses

You can find all our advice and guidance for businesses here:

Support for businesses »

Other Business Grant Funding information

You can find out who is eligible and how to apply for financial support for businesses here:

Apply for Business Grant Funding here »

Support for Voluntary and Community Organisations

You can find details of our COVID-19 Community Response Grant here:

COVID-19 Community Response Grant »

Support as an extremely vulnerable person

You can register if you have a medical condition that makes you extremely vulnerable to coronavirus. For example, you’ll be able to ask for help getting deliveries of essential supplies like food. If you’re not sure whether your medical condition makes you extremely vulnerable, register anyway. You can register yourself, or on behalf of someone else. Register here:

Mental health and wellbeing

The impacts of coronavirus mean that people who are already lonely and isolated are even more vulnerable during the outbreak, while others who need to self isolate may be experiencing loneliness for the first time, however temporary it may be. Get help here:

During this time, you may be bored, frustrated or lonely. You may also feel low, worried, anxious, or be concerned about your health or that of those close to you. Everyone reacts differently to events and changes in the way that we think, feel and behave vary between different people and over time. It’s important that you take care of your mind as well as your body and to get further support if you need it.

Support for victims of domestic abuse

For anyone who feels they are at risk of abuse, it is important to remember that there is help and support available to you. 

Self isolation guidance

If someone in your house has symptoms of COVID-19, then everyone stays in for 14 days. Anyone who is eligible for a flu vaccine is considered high risk, as are pregnant women. 

If one or more persons have symptoms of coronavirus, household waste must be put in plastic bags, tied securely and then put inside another plastic bag and again securely tied. Wait 72 hours before putting this bagged waste in your wheeled bin for collection. Do not put any bagged waste into your recycling bin. Please help to protect your refuse crews who are doing their utmost to keep the service running.

Volunteer to help

There are a number of ways you can volunteer your support to help during the pandemic:

Universal Credit

If you cannot work due to coronavirus and are eligible for Statutory Sick Pay you will get it from day one, rather than from the fourth day of your illness. DWP intends to legislate so this measure applies retrospectively from 13 March 2020.

More information on Universal Credit and sick pay is here:

Additional Support Grants

You can find details of additional support grants here:

Freedom of Information requests

During the coronavirus pandemic, Hambleton District Council will continue to receive and respond to access to information requests as best we can.

The handling of Freedom of Information (FOI) and Environmental Information Regulation (EIR) requests are understandably not a priority for the council at this time. This is supported by the ICO which has advised the public to expect delays to any FOI or EIR requests made to a public body, as we divert our resources to help with the crisis affecting the country.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

Payment of supplier invoice

To enable payment of supplier invoices could any invoices that are emailed to Hambleton District Council also include the following email address [email protected].

Bin and recycling

Please help to protect your refuse, recycling and garden waste crews who are doing their utmost to keep the service running. Can we kindly ask resident to remain a safe distance of greater than 2 metres from our collection crews at all times and to disinfect their bin handles when they put them out for collection. Find out more here:

Pest Control Treatments

05/01/2021 COVID 19 Update

Please note that during the current Covid 19 restrictions Pest Control Officers will be unable to enter residential premises unless there is an immediate risk to health, the property is vacant or the issue is in an outdoor space.

Planning and Coronavirus precautions

Planning advice surgeries at Easingwold and Stokesley are suspended along with face-to-face meetings with the Planning Duty Officer at the Civic Centre in Northallerton. Most officers are currently working remotely at home, therefore please contact us by email at [email protected]

Case officers have recommenced undertaking planning related site visits and displaying site notices. A risk based approach is in operation and site visits will be undertaken and site notice can be fixed safely, having regard to social distancing guidelines in order to ensure the safety of our customers and staff.

A fortnightly newsletter will be sent out electronically to our planning agents with our latest advice and setting out our current position. If you wish to receive a copy please contact us at [email protected]

Alleged breaches of planning control site visits will be undertaken where it is considered that the allegation may constitute ‘immediate and irreparable harm to the districts best assets within the natural or built environment, or public safety’ in accordance with the priority procedure set out in the Council’s Local Enforcement Plan and where it is safe for our customers and our staff to do so.

These restrictions are having some impact on our ability and timeliness in delivering non-statutory services including pre-application enquiries, CIL queries and other general enquires. We thank you for your patience at this time.

Please use the relevant planning pages and associated links on our website where possible:

The Land Charges Department will not be accepting Personal Searches once the Civic Centre re-opens. Search companies should make an appointment in the time slots below:

  • 9 - 10.30am
  • 11 - 12.30pm
  • 1 - 2.30pm
  • 3 - 4.30pm

Please phone 01677 779977 to make an appointment, no personal search companies will be admitted without making a prior appointment. 

When submitting a planning application please include your email address on your application form so that we can correspond with you by email.

Please submit your planning application online here:

Please make your planning payments online where possible:

Migrant information

The Migrant Info Hub aims to offer useful information and resources to help migrants, and those supporting them, to stay safe, connected and informed, and to reduce the harmful impacts of coronavirus (Covid-19) in on our region and on people’s lives.

The Migrant Information Hub includes new multi-lingual resources, national guidance, local services and support, and news and updates on specific migrant issues including policy updates. 

Environmental Health Service

The Environmental Health Technical Support Team is available as normal to deal with customer enquiries by email and telephone during office hours. Other officers in the service can also be contacted directly.

Officers will respond to complaints/enquiries and will endeavour to investigate complaints and provide as normal service as possible; however, some routine inspections of business, domestic premises or other activities involving face to face contact continue to be reduced.

More info here:


Making greater use of outdoor areas has the potential to cause noise nuisance to neighbouring residents. Please take this into consideration when positioning tables and chairs and choosing hours of use. In some circumstances consultation with neighbouring properties may be advisable. The Council has a legal duty to investigate all complaints of noise and nuisance.

Money Navigator Tool

Money Navigator is designed to help people who have seen their finances impacted by Covid-19. This includes people dealing with complex financial situations who may find it difficult to know where to start, such as those facing redundancy or job loss, the self employed whose work has dried up, and people who have had a temporary income drop who need help to get back on track. For more information follow the link below:

Private Hire and Hackney Carriage FAQs

The Licensing Team understands that these are extremely challenging times for the hackney carriage and private hire trade. The following information is intended to answer some of the frequently asked questions in light of the Coronavirus outbreak.

NYBCP temporary working practices

As of 18 March 2020 North Yorkshire Building Control Partnership (NYBCP) will be introducing temporary changes to some of their working practices. Full details can be found here:

Useful links

rating button