Garden waste service
Terms and conditions
- Subscriptions for 2022/23 garden waste service are valid Monday 28 March 2022 - Friday 31 March 2023.
- Each garden waste licence entitles a household to join Hambleton’s fortnightly garden waste collection service for one 240L green wheeled bin. One licence per bin is required, and only HDC green bins displaying a valid licence will be collected.
- Licences are non-transferable, non-refundable and are only valid for the property for which they are purchased. The scheme applies to domestic properties only. Commercial properties are not eligible to join.
- There are no exemptions, concessions or discounts for joining at a later date.
- It is the householders responsibility to ensure the garden waste licence is correctly displayed and secured to the bin and presented at the curtilage of the property or allocated collection point by 6am on the day of collection. Failure to do this will result in non-collection.
- Genuine missed collections must be reported within 48 hours. An investigation will take place.
- The Council reserves the right to cancel collections in the event of severe weather, vehicle breakdown and access issues. For inaccessible and frozen bins residents can contact the council to request garden waste sacks and stickers. Only HDC sacks presented with the correct sticker will be collected.
- Bins deemed too heavy (excess of 96kg) will be left due to health and safety concerns. It is the householder’s responsibility to remove some garden waste to enable collection, we will not return until the next scheduled collection.
- Contaminated bins will not be emptied. An attached label will advise the offending material to be removed before the next collection.
- Neighbours can share bins but must present the bin at the curtilage of the subscribing property. This is a private arrangement - we will not enter any disputes.
- Licences will be posted closer to the service start date to ensure they are not lost or misplaced. If you have not received your licence(s) by 1 March 2022, please contact us on 01609 779977. After this time, please allow up to 10 working days for licences to arrive by post. If you have not received a licence after this time, please call 01609 779977.
- Generally, collections are amended to accommodate bank holidays. Please check the collections calendar at hambleton.gov.uk
- Assisted collections can be arranged. If you already receive assisted collection for household waste, this will be applied to garden waste collections. Please remember to leave unobstructed access to bins.
- Hambleton District Council reserves the right to vary the charge and service on an annual basis. Your collection day may change. You will receive prior notification of this.
- Licences go on sale in December for the next service period. Ample time is given to purchase licences prior to service commencement. Late purchases may result in licences not arriving until after collections have taken place. We will not empty bins that do not display a valid licence as a result of late purchases, you must wait for your licence to arrive before presenting your bin for collection.
You can find these for download here:
What goes in the garden waste bin
Examples of what can and cannot go in your garden waste bin are here: