Houses in multiple occupation licence

A house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 ‘household’ (eg a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen. It’s sometimes called a ‘house share’.

You must have a licence if you’re renting out a large HMO. Your property is defined as a large HMO if all the following apply:

  • it’s rented to 5 or more people who form more than 1 household
  • tenants share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities


For new 5 yearly licence:

  • Band A - £668 (Max permitted occupancy 6 persons)
  • Band B - £816 (Max permitted occupancy 7 - 9 persons)
  • Band C - £838 (Max permitted occupancy 9 - 14 persons)
  • Band D - £978 (Max permitted occupancy 15 or more)

Licence renewal fee is 50% of application fee.

Apply now

Apply online at

Pay online

You can pay for your licence online right now using our secure payment system. Make sure to select the correct service from the left-hand side.


You can find the current HMO regulations here:


You can find current HMO guidance here:

Public register

You can find a list of all licensed HMOs in the district here:

Officer decisions

Report a licensing issue

Tell us about a licensing issue here:

Further information

You can contact the Environmental Health team for assistance:

rating button