Environmental permits

Certain industrial activities require a specialist environmental permit because they pose a pollution risk to air, land or water. Depending upon the activity the permit is either issued by the Environment Agency or your Local Authority.

Some of the more common industrial processes that require an Environmental Permit include:

  • Timber processing
  • Printing
  • Vehicle re-sprayers
  • Concrete product manufacturing
  • Bulk handling and storage of cement
  • Mobile crushers
  • Coal and other minerals processing
  • Petrol filling stations
  • Small waste oil burners
  • Dry cleaners

A full list of the processes which need a permit can be found here:

Please note for waste operations a licence will not be granted until all required planning permissions have been granted.


The regulation of permitted and non-permitted activities is carried out in accordance with our Environmental Permitting Enforcement policy, available here:

Environmental permit categories

There are three types of permit:

  • Part A1 permits These are regulated by the Environment Agency  and cover emissions to air, land, water, energy  and water usage. Industries that are the most polluting come under this category.
  • Part A2 permits We regulate these permits, which cover emissions to air, land, water, energy  and water usage. Industries seen as a medium risk to the environment are included in this category.
  • Part B permits We regulate these permits, which cover emissions to air only. Lesser polluting industries are in this category

Applying for a permit

If the industrial process is within Hambleton District and comes under our control you will need to apply to us for a permit.  We recommend contacting us to discuss your requirements before submitting an application:

The relevant application forms are as follows:

For Environmental Permits issued by the Environment Agency you can either:


There is a fee to pay when you first apply for any Environmental Permit and an annual Subsistence Fee which must be paid as long as the permit is required. The fees are set by central government and are designed to cover administrative and inspection costs.  The full list of fees and charges can be complex so please contact us for further advice on the correct fee to pay.

Pay online

You can pay for your licence online right now using our secure payment system. Make sure to select the correct service from the left-hand side.

How we deal with your application

Legislation governs the whole process of getting a permit, set out by the Government. For more guidance on the environmental permitting process, and an overview of what you can expect from us, there is guidance here:

Once we have received your 'duly made' application, we will ensure that you take all appropriate pollution prevention methods through the best available techniques, and you cause no significant pollution. We may need to advertise your application to the wider community, to allow local residents to comment. We may need to consult other agencies, what we have to do depends largely on the nature of your business. We must consider any comments made in relation to your application.

Although much of the content of any permit is set down in government guidance, you have the opportunity to comment on permit conditions. We want to work with businesses to ensure that permits reflect real working practices and only impose essential pollution controls.

Timescales for your application

Once your application is 'duly made’, the legislation gives us four months to process your application (except for dry cleaners and small waste oil burners, for which we are allowed three months).

If you have made an application for a permit, you can contact us at any time during the application process.

Complaints and appeals

If we refuse your application, we will clearly inform you of the reasons for this. If we approve your application with conditions, you were able to comment on conditions at the time of writing the permit. If after the process you still do not agree with what the permit imposes on your business, or you are not clear of the reason for refusal, please contact us.

If you want to challenge this decision, please contact us:

Responsibilities once you have an environmental permit

You must comply with any conditions attached to a permit. Our officers will carry out an inspection of installations that operate under a permit to make sure the best available technology and practices are being used to prevent pollution. 

The inspection will rate installations as high, medium or low according to the environmental damage that would occur if something went wrong and the way in which the activity is managed. Installations that are operated well, will benefit from reduced fees and less frequent inspections.

If you want to make a change to the process/permit

You must tell us if you intend to extend or change your operation. A change in operation means 'a change in the nature and functioning, or an extension of the installation which may have consequences for the environment'. It could entail either technical alterations or modifications in operational or management practices, including changes to raw materials or fuels used and to the installation throughput.

You should tell us at least 14 days before making the change and complete the following form:

Complaints from the public or businesses

The public and other businesses may complain to us about pollution from a business, or they may inform us about polluting activities. Environmental Protection Officers will investigate and, if permit conditions are being broken, we may take enforcement action.

Further guidance

Useful information and guidance can be found on the Defra website:

Public register of permits

We keep a Public Register of all businesses within Hambleton with an environmental permit. The Register includes details of each application, permit, monitoring data and any notices served. To view this information please contact us to arrange an appropriate time and date.

Report a licensing issue

Tell us about a licensing issue here:

Further information

Contact the Environmental Health Team:

rating button