Animal exhibition licence

You will need a licence if you intend to have animals perform or exhibit privately or publicly. These include:

  • businesses which keep animals for exhibition, either for entertainment or educational purposes. This includes mobile animal exhibits that visit schools, weddings, private parties, fairs and other events where an audience is present.
  • pony parties where the ponies are not ridden.
  • businesses which keep animals for exhibition via electronic media, for example, animals used in films or TV.
  • businesses which train animals for exhibition, either to an audience or via electronic media.
  • exhibiting domestic animals in a circus.
  • any business based outside of England that brings in an animal for exhibition. These businesses must apply to the first authority in which they will be performing or where the animals are to be kept for the duration of their stay.


  3 year licence
Application fee £182.00
Compliance visit £119.00
Annual enforcement fee £134.00
Total £435.00

Apply now

Download the application form and return it to

Pay online

You can pay for your licence online right now using our secure payment system. Make sure to select the correct service from the left-hand side.


You can find the current Animal Welfare Regulations here:

Officer decisions

Report a licensing issue

Tell us about a licensing issue here:

rating button