Register to vote

Living or working overseas

If you are a British citizen or Crown Servant living abroad, you can register as overseas elector. This allows you to vote for 15 years in general elections and European elections from when you registered in the UK. You cannot vote in local elections.

If you want to vote from overseas you have two options:

  • Vote by proxy - this is where you appoint a person to cast your vote on your behalf.
  • Vote by post - we can send postal votes overseas. However, depending on where you live, it may take too long for your postal ballot to be sent back to us before it needs to be counted. If you think this applies to you, please apply for a proxy vote instead.

Use the UK government's online service to register to vote, or update your name or address. It takes less than 5 minutes and you can do it on the device you're viewing this web page from:

Further information

For more information contact Electoral Services on 01609 779977 or

rating button