Register to vote
Voting by proxy means that you can appoint someone else to vote on your behalf. Proxy voting is convenient if you are unable to get to your polling station on election day. Your proxy can either vote by post or vote at a polling station.
For more information on the different types of Proxy applications please follow the link:
How to apply
To apply for a proxy vote, both you and your proxy must be individually registered, must be able to vote in the type of election concerned and meet any of the following criteria:
- you are unable to go to the Polling Station for one particular election e.g. if you are away on holiday you have physical condition that means you cannot go to the Polling Station on election day
- your employment means you cannot go to Polling Station on election day
- your attendance on an education course means you cannot go to the Polling Station on election day
- you are a British citizen living overseas (Parliamentary and European Parliamentary only)
- you are a crown servant or a member of Her Majesty's Armed Forces
Your proxy may not vote for more than two people unless they are a close relative of you.
You can apply for a proxy vote for one election, a specific period or permanently. Download the proxy vote application form and return it to us:
Returning a completed application form
We cannot accept electronic signatures. Please complete the application form using black ink and return via any of the following:
- Email email@example.com
- Hand it in at the Civic Centre
- Fax it to us at 01609 767228
- Post it to us at:
Hambleton District Council
The deadline to receive applications to vote by proxy is 5pm on the sixth working day before polling day.
In certain circumstances, it is possible to apply for an emergency proxy up until 5pm on election day. Circumstances arising after the deadline for ordinary proxy applications for which emergency proxies can be granted include:
- medical illness
For more information contact Electoral Services on 01609 779977 or firstname.lastname@example.org