North Yorkshire County Council is the lead authority in Highways flooding.
North Yorkshire County Council
Overall lead agency on Emergency Planning which often includes dealing with flooding-related issues such as:-
- If people need to be evacuated from properties NYCC will establish “rest centres”
- Co-ordination of resources to help with flooding
- Managing highways issues
Contact : 01609 780780 for NYCC or for the North Yorkshire Resilience Forum call 01609 532246 during office hours
Hambleton District Council
Support agency on Emergency Planning which often includes flooding. Although there is no duty on the council to do so, it does help residents by providing sandbags.
We do hold a stock of sandbags, primarily to assist in preventing flooding of the highway, public buildings and council property. However, we will attempt to help others where resources will allow.
Contact: 01609 779977
Our other non-flooding emergency contacts are here:
The EA manage flooding from rivers. It issues flood warnings, operates and maintains flood defences and responds to flooding incidents.
It also carries out routine maintenance works and advises planning authorities on the risk of flooding.
- Visit the EA website or call Floodline to find out whether you are at risk of flooding from rivers
- Find out if you can sign up for our free 24 hour Floodline Warnings Direct service by visiting the EA website or by calling Floodline. You can select to receive warnings by phone, text, email, fax or pager
- Monitor river levels and make use of the EAs River Levels Online service on the EA website
- Consider buying and installing flood protection equipment to keep water out of your property
Floodline : 0345 988 1188
General enquiries : 03708 506 506 office hours
North Yorkshire Police
Often take control where flooding is declared as an emergency incident
Contact : 999 in case of emergency or 101 if not life-threatening
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service
Will be involved in both rescuing people from flooding and where resources permit assisting in recovery by pumping out flooded properties.
Contact : 01609 780150
Yorkshire Water & Northumbrian Water
YW and NW are responsible for managing the risks of flooding from surface water and foul or combined sewer systems.
To report flooding from sewers contact Yorkshire Water on 0345 124 2424
Northumbrian Water Floodline : 0800 328 7648
BBC Radio York
Provides a good source of up-to-date community information – weather, transport etc
- Frequency: FM: 95.5, 103.7, 104.3 MHz
- Contact: 01904 641351
Parish Councils are encouraged and supported to develop their own local resilience plans for flooding.
NYCC and HDC will assist any Parish Council wishing to develop a local resilience plan – email [email protected]
Northern Power Grid
- General: 0330 123 0877
- North East: 0800 668 877
- Yorkshire: 0800 375 675
- Emergencies: 0800 111 999