Emergency contacts

Use the following list of contact details for reporting emergencies or dangerous incidents which occur out of office hours.

  • Hambleton District Council (all services including Environmental Health): 01609 779977
  • Flood Line: 01609 779977 - Press 1 for sandbags
  • Stray dogs: 01609 779977 - Press 2
  • Homelessness: 01609 779977 - Press 3 
  • Northumbrian Water: 0845 7171100
  • Out of hours Social Services emergency number: 01609 780780
  • Yorkshire Water (supply): 08451 242424
  • Yorkshire Water (sewerage): 08451 242429

Power cuts

You can call 105 to report or get information about power cuts in your local area. You can also call 105 if you spot damage to electricity power lines and substations that could put you, or someone else, in danger. If there’s a serious immediate risk, you should call the emergency services too.

You should call your electricity supplier for any other issues eg if you are having metering or boiler problems.

Flooding information

For all flooding-related agencies and organisations, find useful contact information here:

Crime and police emergencies

Call 999 in an emergency

You should only dial 999 if:

  • there is danger to life
  • there is the use, or immediate threat of use, of violence
  • there is serious injury to a person and / or serious damage to property
  • a crime is, or is likely to be serious, and in progress
  • an offender has just been disturbed at the scene
  • an offender has been detained and poses, or is likely to pose, a risk to other people
  • a road traffic collision involves, or is likely to involve, serious personal injury
  • a road is blocked after a road traffic collision, or there is a dangerous or excessive build up of traffic

Call 101 for all non-emergencies

For general enquiries (for example, to contact an officer or police station) or to report an incident that does not require immediate attention, dial 101. Calls are charged at 15p.

After dialling 101, you will be given four options:

  • Press 1 to report a crime, incident, or to provide information. (You may be placed in a queue - if so, please stay on the line rather than redialling).  
  • If you know the name of the person or department you wish to talk to press 2. Ask for the person by their first and last name, without their rank. Please note for security reasons, some people cannot be asked for via 101.
  • To speak to a custody suite, press 3.
  • For lost and found property enquiries, press 4

You can email the police

Send enquiries to general.enquiries@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk - please include as much detail as possible in your message, including:

  • first name
  • second name
  • date of birth
  • home address, with postcode
  • contact phone numbers (home / work / mobile)
rating button