There is a proven need for a crematorium in this region to serve the needs of the people within this community, who are currently unserved by any other crematorium.
“It will be an important local asset for the district – currently mourners have to travel at least 40 minutes to lay their loved ones to rest and often have to wait lengthy times to get a slot”, said Council Leader, Councillor Mark Robson.
A number of milestones have already been achieved in this landmark new development, the first of its kind within Hambleton. Some of the key milestones achieved so far include:
- Public consultation (26 February 2020 to 16 March 2020)
- Planning application submitted (Tuesday 7 April 2020)
- Planning application approved (July 2020)
- Members of the authority’s Full Council gave the go ahead for a contractor to be appointed (September 15)
- Willmott Dixon appointed as contractor for Hambleton Crematorium development (October 2020)
- Work gets underway on new Hambleton Crematorium (November 2020)
- Treske, a local furniture company, appointed to supply Crematorium (January 2021)
- Steel framework of Crematorium now in position (April 2021)
- Drone footage - Hambleton Crematorium taking shape (June 2021)
The site development is currently ongoing, with the remaining milestones being:
- Construction completed (Autumn 2021)
- Site open day (Early 2022)