Council Tax

Band reductions and Council Tax refunds

Council Tax band is based on what a home might have sold for in April 1991. To determine the correct band the size, age, character and the locality of the property would have been taken into account. The Council Tax bandings are set by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA).

You should contact the Valuation Office Agency about any matter concerning valuation, including:

  • the band your property has been placed in
  • general enquiries about the valuation process
  • major structural alterations or repairs which may have altered your property's value

If you think that your property may be in the wrong band or would like to check the bandings of neighbouring properties, go to the Valuation Office website or contact the Valuation Office on 03000 501501 for more details.

It is not necessary to spend money on querying the Council Tax band of your property.

Council Tax bands and charges

Full information on Council Tax bands and associated charges can be found here:

Council Tax refund

⚠️ Please note, this form is not for the Energy Rebate scheme. ⚠️

If you have received a band reduction notification, your account may be in credit, and you may be eligible to receive a refund. You can complete our refund request form below:

Reduction for disabilities

If you or someone you live with is disabled, or your property has modifications for wheelchair access, you may be entitled to a reduction.

rating button