Council Tax

Difficulties paying

Always quote your Council Tax account number when making a payment. This can be found on your Council Tax bill or on a reminder letter.

You can choose to pay the full amount all in one go or by instalments. You can choose to spread your payments over 12 months instead of the usual 10 to reduce the amount you’re asked to pay on each bill.

If you do not pay your Council Tax, legal recovery action may be taken to get the money you owe.

If you cannot afford the payments that are shown on your Council Tax bill and want to request that your instalments are rearranged to make them more manageable, please complete our online form.

Have you fallen behind with your payments?

What you should do:

If you have had a reminder letter from us because you have not paid your council tax bill, you can:

  • make payment of the outstanding amount to bring your account up to date
  • request that your instalments are rearranged to make them more manageable

Submit your requests to us on this form:

Have you had a Final Notice?

Your Council Tax is now overdue and the amount due for rest of the year is payable, you should make payment of the full amount on the notice to avoid further action here:

If you cannot afford the full payment on the notice, please contact us ahead of the hearing date to discuss a payment plan.

If payment is not made we will obtain a summons to get the money owed.

Have you had a summons for a court hearing?

You should:

  • make payment of the full amount of the notice before the Court Hearing to avoid further action and additional costs or
  • pay the instalment on the Court Summons to accept the arrangement suggested on the letter

If you are unable to make payment in full or comply with the instalment plan on the Court Summons by the specified date, submit your payment proposal using the Special Payment Arrangement form:

For Council Tax arrears, to complete this form you'll need:

  • council tax reference number
  • council tax property address
  • your name and contact address (if different to the council tax property)
  • telephone number or email address
  • your National Insurance Number
  • employment details including payroll number (or business name if self-employed)
  • benefit details where applicable
  • bank details (if making payment by Direct Debit)
  • start date for payments

Your account reference number is shown on the summons. If you no longer have this, you can request a copy bill here:

If you feel you are unable to clear your arrears within the current financial year, contact us:

Recovery action

If you don’t make a payment or a payment arrangement we may:

  • pass your debt to an Enforcement Agent for collection
  • deduct money from your wages
  • deduct money from your Benefit entitlement
  • make you bankrupt or apply for a charge against your property

Enforcement agents

Enforcement agents, sometimes called bailiffs, are employed in appropriate cases of non-payment of monies due to the council.

Enforcement agents are instructed to collect the debt outstanding where a liability order has been obtained through the Magistrates Court and all other efforts to collect the debt have failed. Enforcement agents collect their costs directly from the charge payer and therefore the amount payable can be greatly increased.

Anyone experiencing difficulty paying their bill should contact us before the matter reaches this stage:

rating button