Bands and charges
Each property in the district is assigned one of eight tax bands (A to H) based on property value, and the tax for that property is set as a fixed amount for each band. You can find out your property's tax band here:
Our tax bands
The table below gives you the total amount that you will be expected to pay in Council Tax for the latest year. We have included the amounts that you will need to pay for the different services.
|Tax band||Total Council Tax|
* These figures do not include any local parish precept. The exact amount that you will be charged will vary depending on which parish council area you live in.
You can download the complete Council Tax charges for the latest year here:
A further breakdown on how each authority uses your Council Tax to pay for services:
- Hambleton District Council budget and spending
- North Yorkshire County Council charges
- North Yorkshire County Council budget FAQ
- North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Authority
- Police and Crime Commissioner North Yorkshire
Band reduction for disabilities
If someone who lives in a property has a disability, or the property has been modified to accommodate a disability, you may be entitled to have your tax band reduced:
How bands are calculated
The Valuation Office Agency places each property in a valuation band ranging from Band A to Band H.
The Council Tax is set for a property in 'Band D'. The Council Tax charge for properties in other bands is then a proportion of the band D charge, as follows:
|Proportion of band D figure||6:9||7:9||8:9||9:9||11:9||13:9||15:9||18:9|
The Valuation Office Agency placed properties in a valuation band according to the price it would have fetched if sold on April 1, 1991.
- Band A: Up to £40,000
- Band B: £40,000 - 52,000
- Band C: £52,001 - 68,000
- Band D: £68,001 - 88,000
- Band E: £88,001 - 120,000
- Band F: £120,001 - 160,000
- Band G: £160,001- 320,000
- Band H: £320,001 and above
Appealing against the valuation
You can appeal if you think your property is in the wrong valuation band or if the property is not a home.
If you think that your property may be in the wrong band or would like to check the bandings of neighbouring properties go to the Valuation Office website here:
Or contact the Valuation Office on 03000 501501 for more details.
Pay Council Tax
You can pay your Council Tax online now by using our secure payment system: