Council Tax

Your account

You can see your Council Tax account online here:.

Your Council Tax account

Pay Council Tax

The fastest way of paying Council Tax is online:

Pay Council Tax now

Request a copy bill

You can request a copy of your current council tax bill.

To complete this form you will need:

  • your full name
  • the full address of the property
  • your phone number or email address

Although the form requests your council tax account reference number, you can still submit a request if you do not have this information.

Request a copy bill

What is Council Tax for?

Council Tax is used to pay for local services, as well as our own, it pays for services from North Yorkshire County Council, Police and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire and North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Authority.

Council Tax is linked to the value of your home and there is only one bill for each household. The basic bill assumes that there are at least two adults living in each property, if there are less than two adults living in the home the bill may be reduced.

You can see what we spend Council Tax on here:


We will send you an amended bill showing you what you now need to pay if you have had an overpayment of Council Tax reduction. The amount will be added back on to your Council Tax bill.

If you have difficulty paying the bill, disagree with the reason for the overpayment or the amount due, you must contact us within one month of the date you were informed of the overpayment.

The Liable Person

The person responsible for paying the Council Tax is known as the 'liable person'. In most cases that will be the owner-occupier or tenant living in the property. For every property the liable person is the person who appears highest in the following list:

  • the person who owns and lives in the property
  • the statutory or secure tenant living in the property
  • the person living in the property under a contract of licence
  • any other resident including squatters

If no-one lives in the property the owner is the liable person. The owner is also liable for the following properties:

  • residential care homes and nursing homes
  • certain hostels
  • properties where religious communities live
  • houses split into separate flats, or rooms that are rented out separately
  • second homes that the owner's servant lives in
  • the homes of ministers of religion

If the council knows that two or more people are jointly liable for the Council Tax bill, one bill in the name of those jointly liable will be issued. But the person receiving the bill must make sure that everyone concerned knows their responsibilities. If two or more people are jointly liable, we can collect payment from one or all of them. If you think you are jointly liable with others not shown on your bill, ask for their names to be included on future bills.

rating button