Housing Benefit

Make a claim

Housing Benefit helps to cover or pay towards your rent. However, if your rent includes things like food, water charges, personal laundry or heating which is not for communal areas, these parts will not be included.

The same applies whether you pay rent to a private landlord or housing association or towards a guest house or hostel. 

You can only receive Housing Benefit if:

  • you or your partner have a legally enforceable agreement to pay rent to your landlord
  • the person who is liable to make the payments is not making them and it is reasonable for you to pay rent in order to remain in the house
  • you live independently but share the accommodation with other people, ie joint liability

Make a claim

You can apply for housing benefit online now:

Apply for housing benefit here »

If you prefer to speak to someone in person, you find our office locations here:

Or contact our welfare team on 01609 767141 or 01609 767003.

If you are unable to attend our offices and have no-one to assist you we may be able to arrange for one of our visiting officers to come and help you at home. Please call the number above and speak to one of the welfare team regarding a home visit.


Find out how much you could be entitled to:

Aged under 25?

If you are single and under 25 the maximum rent used in calculation of Housing Benefit will be based on the average rent in the area for single room accommodation with the shared use of toilet and kitchen facilities.

Discretionary Housing Payments

If you are receiving Housing Benefits or the housing element of Universal Credit but still have a shortfall in paying your rent, you may be eligible for a discretionary housing payment:

rating button