Council Tax discounts
Single occupancy discount
If you’re the only person over 18 in your home, you may be able to get a 25% Single Occupancy Discount (previously referred to as a Single Person Discount) on your council tax bill.
To qualify for the discount you must have already registered with us to pay Council Tax in Hambleton.
To complete this form you will need:
- the address and the postcode of the relevant property
- the date you became the sole occupant
- your phone number or email address
- if you wish to set up a direct debit you will also need your bank detail
If you have not yet told us about a change of address you can tell us about a move within the Hambleton area to register with us and apply for the discount at the same time.
Single Occupancy Discount eligibility
Eligibility is dependent on the nature of your occupation at an address.
- an adult occupant, aged 18 or over, may be eligible if the property is their main residence where they keep the majority of their possessions
- in the case of couples the marital home would be considered to be the sole or main residence even if one of the partners lives or works elsewhere, and therefore Single Occupancy Discount would not be available
- you cannot claim Single Occupancy Discount at any second (or further) property owned in addition to a main residence
We undertake checks to make sure our council tax records are up to date and that discounts are being applied correctly by carrying out regular Single Occupancy Discount reviews.
For more guidance please see our FAQ: