Council Tax discounts

Second adult rebate

Second Adult Rebate is a type of Council Tax Support available to you if you’re of State Pension Credit qualifying age.

You cannot get both Council Tax Support and Second Adult Rebate at the same time. If you qualify for both, you’ll receive the one that pays you the most.

If you live alone in a property, you’re entitled to a 25% single person discount off your Council Tax bill. If another adult lives with you, and they have a low income, you might be eligible for Second Adult Rebate.

To claim second adult rebate, there must be another adult living with you who:

  • is 18 or over
  • is not your husband, wife, partner or civil partner
  • doesn't have joint responsibility with you for paying council tax
  • doesn't have to pay you rent
  • is not a joint owner, joint tenant of the property with you
  • is not a licensee of the property
  • has income below a certain amount, or who gets certain benefits
  • is not someone who is ignored when the local authority works out who lives with you – for example someone who is currently in prison, or who is severely mentally impaired

How Second Adult Rebate is calculated

To decide if you’re eligible for Second Adult Rebate, we only look at the gross income (before deductions for tax or National Insurance) of the second adult. Your income and savings are not included when we work this out.

The amount of the Second Adult Rebate

This will depend on the income of the second adult. The most that you can get is 25% off your full Council Tax bill.

How to apply

Contact us to see if you're eligible and apply for Second Adult Rebate:

rating button