my Hambleton



Street Collections

If you want to collect money or sell articles in any street or public place within Hambleton, for the benefit of charitable or other purposes, then you must hold a street collection permit issued to you by Hambleton District Council. The purpose of the permit system is to ensure that only one street collection is undertaken on any one day in any one location.

Sponsored walks do not need a permit but "moving collections" such as carnival processions and events which involve collecting from the public along a route will require a permit.

Within 1 month after the collection you will be required to forward a statement detailing the list of collectors, the amount collected and the expenses and payments incurred.

You are strongly advised to contact the Licensing Team before you submit an application for a proposed collection date to make sure that it is available. Alternative dates can also be discussed before the application is made.


Summary of Legislation


Who needs to notify/apply?

The promoter, or a person who causes others to act as collectors, must obtain a street collection permit.


How do I apply?

You can complete an on-line application form which can be found here. Alternatively you may download an application form and forward it to the address given below.


Applications should be made not later than 1 month before the date on which it is proposed to make the collection. They must be accompanied by written authority from the charity for which the collection is intended.

Preference is given to applications that are local in nature. The Council reserves the right to make more detailed enquiries about your application in certain circumstances, including with the Police.

After the collection has been held, a Statement of Returns form detailing the amount collected, and any expenses incurred, needs to be submitted to the Council within one month. The Statement of Return will be checked for completeness. Where there is an issue or outstanding information relating to the return, the permit holder will be contacted within 5 working days. Alternatively, there is no further action.

The statement of return can be found here. If you do not want to submit your return on-line, you can down load the Statement of Return here and forward to the licensing team at the address given below.


How long will it take to consider the notification/application?

Once all the relevant information on the application form has been correctly completed, the Council aims to determine the application within 5 working days of receipt of the application. However, certain applications may require further information to be provided which may extend this period.


How much will it cost to notify/apply?

No fees are charged for this permit.


Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of a maximum of 30 working days.


If my application is refused, how do I appeal?

There is currently no provision in the legislation for refusal. However, please contact the Licensing Team at Hambleton District Council in the first instance. If you are refused a permit you may refer the decision to the Council's Licensing and Environmental Protection Committee for a decision.


What if I have a complaint or concern?

Contact us in the first instance at the address below. Otherwise, if you are located in the UK, Adviceguide will give you advice. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


Public Register

There is no public register of permits granted.

For further information

For further details of the requirements relating to street collection permits please read the Regulations and Street Collection Policy.


Contact Information

Licensing Team

Environmental Health Service

Hambleton District Council

Civic Centre

Stone Cross


North Yorkshire


Telephone: 01609 779977
Fax: 01609 767228
Email:This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.